Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Just Arrived; Ainsley Goe

Ainsley Goe made her appearance in this world 10 am, Tuesday, January 6, 2015.


Here's her story!!
Warning: it's not short!

The Friday before, the doctor scheduled me for an induction Monday January 5th, 7 am. Fridayafternoon he called me back and asked me to reschedule for Tuesday morning at 7 am. I unwillingly obliged, hoping I would go on my own over the weekend. The weekend brought a lot of emotional turmoil as I tried to induce labor on my own, the only thing I didn't try was Castor oil, after some research I deemed it unsafe for me and baby and not worth the risk. Sunday morning I skipped church due to being in such a bad emotional spot. Sunday night I realized I was worrying too much and needed some prayer support from some of my church leadership. I texted 3 people that I needed to go into labor by Monday night to avoid induction. The actual induction didn't scare me, I had to have pitocin with Mackenzie to speed up labor, I just didn't want to be induced and have a long, hard labor. One of the people I texted was our Pastor, Monday afternoon he texted and asked if I had gone into labor yet, I replied "No, but my nails are done." he laughed at that.Monday brought a lot of sitting, hanging out with my family as our last day of 3 and trying to calm my worries. Tuesday at 3 am I woke to contraction pains, I found this odd because even though I had contractions for the past few weeks, they never bothered me at night. I started timing them because they were feeling intense, they were 4 to 5 minutes apart and 45 sec to 1 min long, borderline "go to the hospital," according to google. So I opted to ignore them since I would be there in a few hours anyway. 3:30 am, I couldn't sleep due to the contractions, not the pain, just the annoyance. So I decided to get up and finish packing; standing up made my water break! I woke up Mondo, finished packing and was at the hospital by 4:30 am.


They skipped triage and put me in a room almost right away. I had to wait in the waiting room for 20 or 30 minutes, annoying! They got me set up, asked me all the questions and finally checked me. Shocked to learn I was already at a 6 and handling the pain great. I don't really remember times after this. The contractions were getting closer together and intense, I opted to have an epidural. I got that and felt great, a little TMI on top of the contractions I was having gas cramps, the epidural helped with that too. After the epidural they put in a catheter, and a few minutes after that I heard a pop and a bunch of water rush out. I thought the catheter came out, my nurse said "no, the rest of my water broke." Apparently I have 2 sacks one up top that popped at 3:30 am and second lower one. After that popped the nurse checked me, I was 100% ready to go but, baby was still high. So she told me to sit there and let the contractions "labor down" the baby. This was hard because I did have the urge to push. Finally, she called the resident OB/GYN, baby was coming out at a weird angle so while I pushed the Doctor would turn her. They gave me an oxygen mask because after pushing it would take awhile for Ainsley to recover and her heartbeat come back up. After a few pushes they made me wait again for my doctor to show up. I had to wait for about 3 contractions before I could start pushing again. Once my doctor showed up I pushed through 3 more contractions on the final push of the 3rd contraction, they told me to stop, I was confused (why stop?) and then I saw her! 5 1/2 hours after showing up at the hospital I had a baby. I was warned by my nurse, next time let them know I labor fast.




After labor, I did tear a little so they had to give me some stitches. Then they found some leftover membrane inside me. So for 1 hour after birth, I had to sit there while they dug the rest out. I probably could have gave birth without the epidural but, my doctor said that I definitely should be glad that I had the epidural now. My mom, Mackenzie, and Grandma got to come in and see Ainsley. Mackenzie was super excited. My mom took Mackenzie home and they took me and Ainsley to our new room. After we were settled in our new room, Mondo went home to be with Mackenzie and put her down for a nap. I told him to go, not knowing what was going to happen next.




Once there the nurse was concerned about Ainsley breathing very fast, she called in a resident pediatrician who thought that maybe due to the fast labor and the fact that the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck, which was the cause of the slow heart rate return during labor, she might have some fluid still in her lungs. So, the doctor ordered chest xrays and extra labs. Then the nurse checked on me. I was bleeding way too much and had huge clots on top of it. During pregnancy I had developed a fibroid on my uterus. This was causing my uterus to not close up properly and for the clots to get stuck inside me. So they moved me and Ainsley closer to the nurse's station for constant observation. Both, the pediatrician and my doctor said this wasn't anything to be extremely worried about, just cause for extra concern. The resident OB/GYN spent some time "digging" inside me to get all the clots out and check my uterus. My uterus should have been closed up but, there was still room for 2 fingers. So, they put me on pitocin to cause contractions to close that up. With out the epidural any more, the "digging" hurt like no other. At this time I texted the same 3 people to ask for prayer again. I was simply too weak to pray on my own, I knew Mondo was praying too as I had called him to fill him in. They also gave me a shot for the bleeding, pain medicine because it was bad, extra fluid due to the amount of blood loss, and antibiotic for my positive Group Strep B and how long after birth I had been "left open". Under doctor orders every hour a nurse had to come in and push HARD, very very HARD on my uterus to get it to move down and to get the blood clots out. Ainsley had her extra labs done and they came in our room to do the chest x-rays. One nurse suggested lots of skin on skin contact with Ainsley to help us both recover and I must say it did. That evening, friends and family came to visit and I felt like a zombie. I could barely walk to the bathroom on my own. That night Mondo went home to be with Mackenzie and I was on my own to take care of Ainsley, I was thankful for the nurses. Ainsley also chose to feed all night long!!


Our view Tuesday morning

The next morning Ainsley and I both got a clean bill of health. Although, we would still have to stay for another 24 hours due to the Group Strep B and lack of anitbiotics during the quick delivery. Ainsley did have fluid in her lungs but, she worked them out on her own. I no longer had people pushing on my stomach every hour. Mondo and Mackenzie came in the morning with Cinnabon, and we got some family photos taken, our hospital has a photographer come around the rooms for a complimentary photo shoot. Although I had managed to put on makeup for the photos, I couldn't move from the bed, I hurt so bad. The rest of the day went by uneventful, Mondo and Mackenzie went home for nap, Mondo came back just him in the evening and that night Ainsley fed all night long.


Thursday morning we were discharged early and sent home. I got to take an actual nap, and spend time with Mackenzie. Although I was still in HIGH amounts of pain and my feet had swollen bigger than ever. I was told my swollen feet was due to the meds and the extra fluid they had given me. One week later and my feet are almost normal size. That evening we went as a family to Old Spaghetti Factory for a celebratory/ birthday dinner for Ainsley.  

This is my complete labor story. As I look back I realize how scary in the moment it was, I never did feel scared or worried though, that would be the peace that passes all understanding!




Mondo was my rock during this time. How he stepped up and cared for his 3 girls is beyond belief to me. I barely had to move a finger which I believe helped me recover so quick. He made sure I got lots of rest when I got home and spoiled Mackenzie so she would know just how loved she is! Words don't cover the amount of love and gratitude I have for all he has done for me and his 2 daughters the past few days.




Mackenzie is completely smitten by her little sister. You can see signs of jealousy every once in awhile during this adjustment process. Actually, I wouldn't say it's jealousy it's more of not understanding, why baby sister gets so much attention, why mom can't pay as much attention to her, and why baby sister has stuff she can't use or that she has to share.



Ainsley came home with newborn rash, most of that is gone. She was low risk for jaundice and I still haven't seen a sign of it. She eats like cray cray, doesn't like her bassinet and still has her day and night backwards. I am sure at her doctor appointment tonight we will find out that she is back to birth weight. She was 8.5 lbs at birth 21" long. When we checked out she was 7.11 lbs. Just like her sister she pictures big but, she is very tiny. We had to go buy newborn clothes just so she would have some. All I could find of Mackenzie's was 0-3 months and those swim on her.




Me, I am glad to finally be returning to myself. I have survived my first day at home by myself with the 2 girls and am looking forward to getting back into some sort of routine.




Thank you for giving me some time enjoy my new little girl and adjust to my new role as a mom of 2. I do have some more posts planned and hope to get those out soon.


Until then,
Dorinda

No comments:

Post a Comment