Thursday, December 25, 2014

Fight Like a girl

The last Saturday of February I got to co-plan a church lady's tea! It was so much fun!! We had 55 ladies attend and I was asked to share a short devotional. I wanted to share that message with you. Although since I have more time on here then I had with the ladies I plan on going into a little more depth into each point. This week is the introduction!

Fight like a girl!

I recently turned 30. Now I realize that all you women reading this are 29 and under and I thank you for allowing me to share my 2 months wisdom with you! Something happened when I hit that age, to me age really is just a number and I in no way feel old or am going through a mid life crisis. Before, when I was in my 20's I felt like the song "not a girl, not yet a woman" was like my jam. I struggled with the well, I'm not that old or i'm too old for that. Then when I turned 30, I realized hey, that's the age when you ask a kid what's old they say 30! Or the age when I was a kid, the age my mom would tell me to act when I was acting up. Which I translated into to act like my grandma. At the age of 30 I suddenly liked tea, it was kind of the weirdest thing before 30... tea, uh no thank you i will pass. 30, tea? yes please with one sugar. At the age of 30 I kinda had this realization that I can't pass for college age any more, nor should I. At the age of 30 my prayers took a change too. In my 20's and also my teens I remember praying "God who do you want me to be?" Suddenly at the age of 30 my prayers became "God help me to be a better woman."  I wish that God worked in my way, that as I pray He gives me a step by step plan to become a better woman. I love lists, I like to make them almost daily. Usually the first thing on my list is wake up; which I get to cross off almost instantly. I already feel accomplished. Next on my list is usually; make a list. Whoo hoo two for two today is a success. Third is get ready for day, sometimes that's a 50/50 (do I want to change out of pj's?) and fourth is eat, again 50/50 which also ensues a debate. Does a twix count as breakfast? God doesn't usually give me a list he just slowly reveals things to me as I go. I know I am not yet the perfect woman but I do know I am better today than yesterday. I don't pray to be a better wife or a better mom. I feel like as God molds me to be a better woman all those other things will click into place. As I pursue being a better woman being a better wife and mom will follow naturally. As I follow God in pursuit of being a better woman I will naturally become a better girlfriend, sister, daughter and such. In this day and age where we are constantly told we live in a man's world, I think the power behind being a woman has been lost. In this day and age being told you fight like a girl is an insult, instead of a recognition of a woman. One movie I have always liked, although it will never take the place of High School Musical or Step Up. There is a certain scene that stands out to me, It's the scene where a royal princess is standing in a battlefield where death lays about her. You don't recognize her as a royal princess because she has hidden her womanhood in a man's armor. She is there because she wants to help, she has practiced with a sword and is just as good if not better than most of the men. As the battle rages on she watches her father the king fall at the hand of an evil creature and it's rider. She rushes to her father's side but the creature prevents her, she begins to fight the evil dark figure. Just as the evil king thinks he won he claims, "You fool no man can kill me." At this time she rises up, takes off her helmet and claims, "I am no man." Stabbing the evil king, he had no reason to worry of a female presence on the battlefield. He shrivels up and dies. She hid her identity to come onto the battlefield but it was not until she showed her true identity did she become victorious. This scene has grown in importance to me as I have gotten older, the fact that she did not win until she revealed her womanhood. This scene is from the movie Lord of the rings the Return of the King (click the name to see the clip). We are living in a world where we are told to blend in a become like the man, to be successful you must act more manly. This is not the way we will win, this is not the way to success. It will not happen until we realize our true identity and power in being a woman. I may realize my prayer changing at the age of 30 but, God is calling all of his females to stand up and be proud of the women He made you to be. To stop trying to fit into the man's world and start fighting as He made women to fight.

I have 3 points to get you started.
1. What's our battle
2. Best Weapon
3. The way to win

I have been in love with this topic for as long as I remember and the book by Lisa Bevere titled Fight Like a Girl brought some new insight into my message. I would definitely. encourage reading it. I will continue this series trying to post each point once a week. 

Before I go though I want to share with you a challenge our Pastor gave us this past Sunday, it is an easy one and one I know will change your life if you follow it.


It's called Rise and Nine. First thing in the morning instead of hitting your snooze start with;
3 minutes praise
3 minutes prayer
3 minutes reading

I hope you join our church in this challenge! I also look forward to sharing more with you on Fight like a girl.

Dorinda

No comments:

Post a Comment