Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hair Chalk, Fun times!!


My church decided to have a block party and I thought that this event would be the perfect chance to try a fun new hair trend. Hair chalking!!
Hair chalking has been around for awhile I just haven't tried it yet. I must tell you it's fun!! So here's how I did it and a few tips I figured out along the way.

What you need:
water bottle

icky shirt or towel


gloves

hair straightener

soft pastels chalk 
(I got mine at Michael's for $6 with a 40% off coupon)
 (Don't use oil chalk or else it's harder to get out)


Steps:
(I can't believe I am posting this picture of me with no make up)
1. I decided to do my hair in 2 sections (but only doing a few on the lower section)

2. Take a section of hair and spray it with water, then twist.
 (the chalk comes off better on the textured hair)
If you have blonde hair don't worry about spraying it


3. Color with the white chalk 
(you can skip this if you have blonde hair)
the white chalk makes the color show up better


4. color with chosen color

(here are the colors I chose to use)


do a tie dye look by using 2 colors


5. wait for it to dry
which doesn't take long since the chalk absorbs most of the moisture
(This is what it looked like after I went over it with the straightener)
6. go over the colors with the straightener
(the chalk will come off on the straightener, but after it cools down just use a moist paper towel to clean it off)

7. Style how you choose


Total time minus styling was 30 minutes



DIY colored hair

Here are some other styles I want to try.

Tips:

  • Work from the top to bottom with color
  • Brushing takes out pigment and muddles the color
  • If you are doing a style to it afterwards do fewer strands
  • Next time I am going to do smaller strips of hair, the bigger ones were hard to style
  • Brush your hair before taking a shower to get the color out easier
  • To wash out I used clarifying shampoo it took about 3 washes to get it clean
  • My hair was really dry afterwards so I put in lots of conditioner and Moroccan oil


How fun would it be to just use blue and red for the 4th of July? This is a great idea for camp counselors, if you don't use a straightener it just comes out easier, so counselors don't worry about using the straightener. Moms this is a great idea to use with your tween so they can do a bold color temporarily. Kid Min teachers, a great way to break barriers with your kids they will either think you're cool, or funny either way a great conversation starter. 

I will definitely be trying this style at another time. Will you try hair chalking? 

No comments:

Post a Comment